Original recipe that I thought tasted great, it is quite spicy so reduce or omit chilli flakes and/or pepper for a mild result. Can of course be scaled up easily.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 slice bacon
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion flakes
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili flakes (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, torn apart
- 6 basil leaves, torn apart
- 2 cups water
- 1 slice bread
- Remove rind from bacon and tear into bite sized pieces.
- Place bacon, oil, garlic, and onion flakes into medium saucepan and cook over medium heat until bacon is browned and cooked through.
- Add all remaining ingredients apart from bread and slowly bring to boil over medium temperature (will take around 10 minutes).
- Reduce temperature to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile toast bread and cut into small squares as croutons.
- Serve soup in bowl with croutons sprinled over the top.