Recipe by Kate in Ontario
This chile has lots of zip. The heat can be adjusted by increasing or decreasing the hot peppers or by using mild Italian sausage. The cinnamon adds a nice flavor.This tastes even better if made a day ahead.
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet green pepper, chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- hot sauce or red pepper flakes
- 1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can kidney beans or 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups water
Directions See How It's Made
- Steam sausage in casings to remove excess fat.
- Let cool and slice into bite sized pieces.
- In large pot brown sausage and blot away almost all the fat.
- Add spices and stir over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add onions,garlic,peppers and celery stirring until softened.
- Stir in tomatoes and water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans and simmer until thickened.