Prana Princess's Note:
I found this recipe on The New York Times website and fell in love with it the very first time I tried it. It's hands down THE BEST quinoa recipe I've discovered. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup quinoa
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups diced cucumbers
- 1 small red onion, finely minced (optional)
- 2 cups finely diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 jalapenos, seeded, if desired, and finely chopped or 1 -2 serrano pepper, to taste seeded, if desired, and finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus sprigs for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 avocado, sliced, for garnish
- 1Place quinoa in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for five minutes. Drain through a strainer and rinse until the water runs clear. Bring the 3 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add salt (1/2-3/4 tsp) and quinoa. Bring back to a boil, and reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and translucent; each grain should have a little thread. Drain off the water in the pan through a strainer and return the quinoa to the pan. Cover the pan with a clean dish towel. Replace the lid and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile, place the finely diced cucumber in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Toss and allow to sit for 15 minutes. Rinse the cucumber with cold water and drain on paper towels. If using onion, place in a bowl and cover with cold water. Let sit for 5 minutes then drain, rinse with cold water and drain on paper towels.
- 3Combine the tomatoes, chiles, cilantro, vinegar, lime juice, and olive oil in a bowl. Add the cucumber and onion, season to taste with salt and add the quinoa. Toss together and taste, adjusting seasonings if necessary.
- 4Serve garnished with avacado slices and cilantro sprigs.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Quinoa Summer Salad
Serving Size: 1 (304 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.4
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 15.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 5.2 g