Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe courtesy of Giada De Laurentiis.
- 4 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 4 small dried red chilies
- 3 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 3 cups espresso
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Combine the milk, chilies and cinnamon sticks in a heavy large saucepan.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat. Remove from heat, cover and steep for 15 minutes.
- Whisk in the espresso, sugar and 1 cup of the cocoa powder.
- Bring the hot chocolate to a simmer, whisking often.
- Discard the chilies and cinnamon sticks.
- Meanwhile, whisk the powdered sugar and remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder in a large bowl to blend.
- Add the cream and whisk until the mixture is thick.
- Ladle the hot chocolate into 8 mugs. Spoon the whipped cream on top and serve immediately.
Holy cow! 10 STARS in my book! This qualifies in the "Death By Chocolate" category. Rich, thick, creamy, and with a subtle "burn" at the back of the throat. I cut recipe down to 2 servings and used Splenda. I also cheated on the whip cream and used sugar-free Cool Whip with the cocoa powder mixed in (skipped the powdered sugar) Wasn't as "pretty" as whipped cream but tasted great :) Will be making this again! Made for Winter 2010 Comfort Cafe game.