Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
I love how easy this one is to make and lentils are a favorite. Good OAMC.
Top Review by HesterX
This is the one lentil soup recipe that I make for friends who claim they dislike lentils. I use chourico instead of kielbasa & chicken broth in lieu of water. Truly an outstanding recipe that I have used time & time again. Perfect for the colder months!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb kielbasa or 1 lb andouille sausages or 1 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1 inch thich slices
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 envelopes lipton golden onion soup mix
- 6 cups water
- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed and picked over for stones
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large souppot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add in sausage slices; stir/saute until evenly browned.
- Add in the onion, garlic, carrots, and celery; stir/saute for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Add in the cumin seeds, cayenne, bay leaf, and soup mix; cook for 2 minutes, stirring constantly so spices don't burn.
- Add in the water, lentils, and pepper; bring mixture to a boil.
- Lower the heat to med-low; cover and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until lentils are soft and creamy.
- Take out bay leaf just before ready to serve.