Spicy sliced cucumber banchan (side dish). I'm Korean so this is a mild to medium spicy, but if you are sensitive to spice, half the pepper paste and pepper powder, then add to taste.
- Wash and slice cucumber into 1/4 - 1/8" pieces. Discard ends.
- Spread cucumber slices onto cutting board. Sprinkle with salt and let sit for at least 15 minutes. You should see water start to form on them.
- Meanwhile, mix all other ingredients well in a 1.5 Quart mixing bowl. (Use 1/2 cup Rice Vinegar for small to medium size cucumber, 3/4 for larger one).
- Press cucumber slices with paper towel or cheesecloth to remove water.
- Put cucumbers in bowl and stir so they become coated.
- Let marinate at least 1 hour before serving. Cucumbers may start to become a bit limp, but do not let them get soggy due to the vinegar.
- To store, place cucumbers in a plastic container with only a little liquid, and leave in the refrigerator.
- This recipe serves about 4 for banchan (side dish). Cooking time is marinating time. Add or subtract ingredients to taste. Try green onion or more garlic.