Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Indian side dish.
Make and share this Spicy Kohlrabi recipe from Food.com.
- 4 -5 medium kohlrabi, with greens, washed, about 2 lbs. (1 kg)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 serrano peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed carom seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala (to garnish)
- Peel, dice kohlrabi into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces. Shred/mince greens.
- Heat oil over medium high. Add bay leaves, sauté 15 - 20 seconds, remove.
- Stir in garlic, peppers, carom seeds, coriander, peppercorns, turmeric. Add greens.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes. Add diced kohlrabi, stir occasionally, 2-3 minutes. Add water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Cover, boil about 5 minutes. Reduce heat, simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, 35-40 minutes. Uncover.
- Add lemon juice, cook until most liquid evaporates and dish is almost dry, about 5 minutes. Transfer to serving dish. Garnish with Garam Masala.