Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A spicy Mexican-style rice without tomatoes.
Make and share this Spicy Jalapeno Rice recipe from Food.com.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped seeds removed
- 2 cups chicken broth or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh snipped cilantro
- shredded cheese (Mexican, queso, cheddar, etc.) (optional)
- In a large saucepan heat the oil on medium-high heat. Saute onions until golden brown. About a minute before completing the onions, add garlic and jalapenos; saute another minute.
- Add in uncooked rice, broth, cumin, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the saucepan. Simmer on low heat for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is gone and rice is tender and fluffy. Remove from heat. The longer you leave on the lid, the fluffier the rice will become. Add minced cilantro and stir gently.
- Top each serving with cheese, if desired.