This is easy, quick, and very tasty. I have substituted the same quantity of light evaporated milk for half the cream, to reduce the fat content, and it worked well. The sausages I use are hot and spicy - if you wish (or need to), add some chili flakes to spice it up. Adapted from a recipe by Nigel Slater.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 spicy Italian pork sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces dry pasta (I use orecchiette)
- 1 cup white wine
- 1/4 teaspoon dried chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 ounce fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tablespoon smooth Dijon mustard
- 10 ounces double cream (or heavy cream if double cream is unavailable)
- basil leaves (to garnish)
- 1Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, add the pasta, and cook according to the instructions on the packet until nearly 'al dente' (it will finish cooking in step 9).
- 2Drain, and set the pasta aside.
- 3Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large skillet, and remove the sausage meat from their skins.
- 4Crumble the sausage meat into the skillet and saute in the hot oil until it is sizzling and cooked through, about five minutes.
- 5Add the wine to the sausage meat, let it bubble, then stir to dislodge any crispy bits of sausage stuck to the bottom of the skillet.
- 6Add the chili flakes, if using, and the basil and mix through.
- 7Next, add the mustard and then the cream.
- 8Bring slowly to a simmer, stirring now and again.
- 9Add the cooked pasta, and allow to simmer a few more minutes until it becomes 'al dente'.
- 10Taste for seasoning and add a little salt or a touch more mustard, if desired.
- 11Serve hot, garnished with a few basil leaves.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Italian Sausages With Pasta, Basil and Mustard
Serving Size: 1 (533 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2466.2
- Calories from Fat 1518
- Total Fat 168.7 g
- Saturated Fat 72.5 g
- Cholesterol 453.3 mg
- Sodium 2631.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 138.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 4.5 g
- Protein 74.2 g