Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Best Health Mag
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 extra-large cooking apple, peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped dried dates
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 8 ounces light cream cheese, at room temperature (Neufchatel)
- If using cardamom pods, lightly crush them with the flat side of a chef’s knife to split them open, then remove the seeds. Discard the pods and crush the seeds with the side of the knife. (This can be done with a mortar and pestle.) If using ground cardamom, omit this step.
- Mix the apple, dates, crushed cardamom seeds, cinnamon and ginger in a medium saucepan, then add the water. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until the apple is tender and the dates are pulpy, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally to prevent the mixture from sticking to the bottom of the pan. Remove the mixture from the heat and cool.
- When the apple mixture is cool, stir the cream cheese in a medium bowl until creamy, then blend in the fruit mixture. Cover and refrigerate until serving time. (The dip will keep in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.).
- Serve the dip in a shallow bowl or dish, place on a platter, and surround with an assortment of fruit and vegetable crudités.
Yummy! Loved this with carrot sticks and on my morning muffin. Very easy to make, and wonderfully flavourful with the spices. Thanks for sharing!<br/>Made for PAC Spring 2014