Top Review by GinnyP
Sue, I don't usually eat hot dogs, but once in a while I just have to have one. This was so delicious I would take it over a regular ol' hot dog anyday. I used a gluten-free cornbread mix and double-checked the hot dogs and chili powder for gluten and was all set. This is easily made gluten-free. This is a great family-style meal and for bbq potluck's! Thank you!!! : )
For the Filling
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup salsa
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 lb hot dog, sliced into chunks
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
For the Crust
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) package corn muffin mix
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Grease a 2-quart casserole and set aside.
- Thoroughly cook ground beef in a large skillet; drain away all excess fat.
- Stir in the water, tomato paste, chili powder, cumin, and hot dogs, mixing well.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer until mixture thickens alightly.
- Pour filling into casserole dish.
- Mix all ingredients for the topping in a mixing bowl until just blended, then spoon over topping, spreading equally.
- Bake in preheated oven 15-20 minutes or until the topping is nicely browned.