Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
These cheese rounds, a little zippy from the cayenne pepper. Posted for ZWT 5.
- 2 cups cantal cheese or 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Using a mixer beat together all the ingredients until a dough ball forms. The dough will look shaggy. Put the dough onto a clean, floured work surface and roll into a 15-inch long log that measures about 1 ½-inches in diameter. Wrap the log in plastic wrap and freeze for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Unwrap chilled dough and slice into very thin (1/8-inch thick) coins. Arrange the cheese rounds in a single layer slightly apart on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until the rounds begin to brown on the edges. Allow them to cool slightly before serving.
Mmmmm, what a yummy biscuit-cracker! I made the recipe exactly as stated and was rewarded with 58(!!!!) big, crispy, cheesy rounds! The cheese-flavour really comes through very nicely and the spices give the crackers the extra something. I might even use a bit more of them next time, as I could barely taste them... All in all a perfect savoury snack, which will surely make great gifts, too. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing this lovely recipe with us, Jamilah! Made and reviewed for Ramadan Tag Game August 09.
very good! mine didn't really firm up to a really crispy texture mabey I just didn't slice them thin enough however they definately deserve 5 stars, my family loved them, I used old cheddar which worked well, thank you for sharing Jami! made for the French tour/ZWT 5