1 hr 10 mins
Turn away from cabbage no longer! This stew has a substantial broth and is cooked long enough to bring out the sweetness of the cabbage, so just go ahead and get rid of those thoughts of stinky, watery, not-even-two-cents-to-rub-together cabbage soup. This is what cabbage is supposed to taste like.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, in 1/2-inch slices
- 5 cups sliced cabbage (about 1/2-inch slices)
- 2 low-sodium vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 tomato, peeled and chopped (canned is OK)
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- 1Melt butter in a soup pot over medium heat.
- 2Add onions and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 3Add cabbage, enough water to cover, bouillon, tomato, potatoes, red pepper flakes, and paprika.
- 4Bring it to a boil, then drop the heat down to simmer and cook, covered, for about 15 minutes.
- 5Uncover and simmer another 45 minutes to an hour, stirring occasionally, until the broth is reduced enough that it's almost opaque, and the cabbage is almost transparent.
- 6Serve in bowls, with hunks of bread to mop up the tasty broth.
- 7This gets better every day it's left in the fridge.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spicy Cabbage Soup-Stew
Serving Size: 1 (377 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.4
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.6 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 718.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 96.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.9 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 15.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium vegetable bouillon cubes