Recipe by Is This Really Necessary
Another blueberry ice cream recipe, but this one is a bit special because of the combination with coconut and lime, which makes it a bit spicy. This works great in an ice-cream maker. Adapted from a recipe by Kate McGhie (the original had too much lime juice in it).
Top Review by Jo C
This had a good flavour, but next time I would puree the berry mixture as the end result had whole frozen blueberries in it, which were like big berry-flavoured icy lumps and spoiled the texture.
Directions See How It's Made
- Finely grate the zest from one of the limes and juice both.
- Heat zest, half of the juice, and the sugar over low heat and dissolve.
- Add blueberries and simmer until the berries start to pop their skins (don't overcook!).
- Allow to cool for about five minutes and stir in coconut cream.
- Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Lightly whip cream.
- Fold in blueberry mixture.
- Add the rest of the lime juice while tasting for balance -- don't put in too much or it will easily overpower the berry taste.
- Put in a container and freeze for about an hour or until the mixture is set a few centimeters from the edges.
- Whisk until smooth and freeze for another hour; whisk again.
- Freeze until firm.