Recipe by Charmie777
I tried this recipe after finding it on the internet, hoping to convince my family to eat vegetarian every now and then. It worked! It worked so well, they didn't even know there wasn't any meat in their burgers! This is nice and spicy and gets a lovely crust on it. This is vegetarian and vegan. You don't even need to serve it on a bun if you like! If you don't mind the cheese, it's great with a little shredded cheddar on top. Prep time includes 2 hours chilling.
Top Review by sofie-a-toast
These were really good and not at all mushy (which I get scared of with black bean burgers!) The long frying on both sides which creates the crust makes the texture wonderful! I only lightly pureed the mix so that it was still a little chunky. I served this with a chipotle mayo lime mix which worked perfectly on top along with other condiments. Made for ZWT 8
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1⁄2 cup plus 2 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1⁄2-1 cup corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup plain breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onion, jalapeno and garlic in a food processor and pulse 5 or 6 times.
- Add beans, oats, corn, green onion, cumin, curry powder, and cayenne. Season with salt and pepper and pulse 8 times. Scrape downs sides of the bowl and pulse an additional 5 to 8 times (depending on desired texture).
- Place mixture into a mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for at least two hours.
- Remove chilled mixture from refrigerator and stir in breadcrumbs. Adjust seasonings.
- Pour oil into a heavy bottom skillet and place over medium. Form mixture into four equal patties. Cook patties for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until a crust develops and the patties are heated through.
- Remove patties from heat and place onto burger buns. Assemble burger with toppings and condiments of your choice and serve.