Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a recipe by Giada De Laurentiis. It is a fantastic, different twist on mac and cheese. I make this every summer for our annual family reunion cookout, and it's always a hit.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 ounce) spinach, chopped, thawed and drained of excess liquid
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup romano cheese, plus 1/3 cup
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened, plus
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 12 ounces mozzarella cheese, cubed (about 2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender, but still firm to the bite (about 8-10 minutes). Drain pasta.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook until the onion is golden, about 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes, spinach, and red pepper flakes. stir to combine ad cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, 1/4 cup parmesan, ad 1/4 cup Romano. Spread the softened butter in a 9x13-inch glass baking dish and sprinkle half of the bread crumb mixture inside dish to coat.
- In a large bowl, combine the veggie mixture with cooked macaroni, cubed mozzarella, and the remaining parmesan and Romano cheeses. Spoon into the prepared baking dish, top with the remaining bread crumb mixture, and dot the top with the remaining butter. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 30 to 40 minutes.
I'm sorry, but his dish was dreadful! I made it exactly per the recipe had one small serving and tossed the whole thing in the compost. It was dry, gritty, tasteless and the spinach was like trying to chew through grass.
M-M-Mmmm went around the table after one spoon of this delicious macaroni! We enjoyed this so much and look forward to having it again during the cooler weather. I followed the recipe and it was perfect in flavor as is. Just enough of everything in it for us. Loved the crumbs on top too. Thanks!