Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an old-fashioned, traditional beverage, & the recipe for this particular winter holiday treat comes, with a few of my own tweeks, from Better Homes and Gardens 'so good with FRUIT' cookbook.
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- 40 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 6 cups apple cider
- 2 cups cranberry juice
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon orange bitters
- 3 medium oranges
- 2 tablespoons rum extract
- Break the cinnamon stick into pieces, &--along with the whole cloves & whole allspice--tie the cinnamon pieces in a cheesecloth bag.
- Cut each orange in half.
- In a large covered saucepan, combine the cider, cranberry juice, sugar & orange bitters.
- Add the spice bag, oranges & rum extract, & simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove spices & pour into a warm serving bowl, leaving the oranges to float on top.
What a wonderful holiday drink! I served this to the whole family (although I did add a wee bit of rum to mine) and we all loved it. Plus the addition of my house smelling wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing. Made for November Beverage Tag.