Prep 2 hrs 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Based on a recipe from Carol Alt's cookbook, The Raw 50. She says in the intro to the recipe, "Marinating makes all the difference ... and this recipe is no exception. According to Raw Chef Dan Hoyt, in this spiced squash he created, the more you marinate, the better those veggies can absorb the spices and the tastier they will be. If you want a milder flavor, marinate them for less time." Prep time includes marinating time.
- 1⁄2 cup sun-dried tomato, soaked for 2 hours and drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (recipe calls for Himalayan salt)
- 2 zucchini, sliced
- 2 summer squash, sliced
- Combine sun-dried tomatoes, oil, onion, chopped fresh herbs, and salt together in mixing bowl.
- Add sliced squash and toss to coat.
- Allow to marinate 2 hours before serving.
Nice and different side dish. I love raw zucchini, so I knew this would be a winner. Next time I will leave the oregano out, as it seemed to overpower the rest of the herbs. I also threw in some parsley. . .hey, why not :) Made for VEG*N TAG. . .thanks!
I loved the sun-dried tomato and herb combination in this, and I had plenty of fresh herbs left over to put in my next meal:) Probably best if you have an herb garden, because fresh herbs are expensive otherwise. I'm not overly fond of zucchini/summer squash, but this made it really special! (I am totally enamored of sun-dried tomatoes and herbs:) ) My BF loves sqash, but I should have warned him this was raw. When he understood that, he was as pleased as I was.
I really enjoyed this new way to serve up these squash, & I think the sun-dried tomato made it special, at least in my book! Am planning to serve this yet again, the next time we have company! Thanks for sharing the recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my Raw Food groupmates in the Vegetarian/Vegan Recipe Swap #6]