Recipe by English_Rose
This hearty vegetarian soup will warm up cold winter nights and can be frozen for later. From BBC Good Food Magazine. When I made this for myself and the OH he did not believe it had no meat in it! The lentils make iot lovely and thick and I made the whole recipe for two of us so we could take to work for lunch. It froze beautifully too.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 3 ounces dried green lentils
- 5 1⁄2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk (or use extra stock)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the onions and fry for 5 mins until softened. Tip in the remaining veg and cook for another 5 mins, adding the chilli and cumin for final 2 minutes
- Add the lentils and stock to the pan. Bring to the boil, then lower heat and simmer for 25 mins until veg are tender and lentils are soft. Blitz until smooth with the milk and a little extra water or stock, if necessary. Season, then reheat until piping hot.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread!