Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Desserts from the Famous Loveless Cafe
- 2 1⁄3 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups canola oil (or other neutral vegetable oil)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1⁄3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄3 cup chopped walnuts
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°; grease and flour a 10-12 cup Bundt pan.
- Place 2 cups brown sugar in a large bowl; break up any lumps.
- Add the oil, pumpkin puree, and eggs; whisk together until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and cloves over the pumpkin mixture.
- Add the chocolate chips and fold until the batter is evenly mixed and no streaks remain.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/3 cup brown sugar and remaining 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon with the walnuts.
- Rub together with your fingertips until well blended.
- Pour half of the pumpkin batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the walnut mixture over the top of the batter, trying to keep it in the center.
- Cover with the remaining batter.
- Bake for 60-70 minutes, until a pick comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Then turn the cake onto a rack to cool completely.,.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.