Recipe by Sharon123
A great spiced up drink for the holidays, or anytime you want a treat! This would also make a great gift! Put all the dry ingredients into a glass jar with directions, along with some oranges. Enjoy!
Top Review by Outta Here
I found the flavors in this to be perfectly balanced. The only change I made was to cut the sugar by half, and it was plenty sweet enough for me. The serving sizes are small (less than 8 oz.). I cut this down to 2 servings and drank it all myself, in one of my smaller cups. Will be making again, though, and the whole recipe for one of my LARGE mugs :)
- 1 medium orange
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or rum extract)
- 2 sticks cinnamon (2-inch long)
Directions See How It's Made
- Remove peel from orange using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler; set aside. Squeeze juice from the orange; add water, if necessary, to equal 1/3 cup. Set aside.
- To make the spice bag, place orange peel, cinnamon, and cloves in a double layer square of cheesecloth. Bring up corners; tie with string. If you don't have cheesecloth, just put it in the liquid(below) and strain after heating.
- In a large saucepan combine orange juice, spice bag, water, milk, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and coffee crystals. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove spice bag. Stir in vanilla or rum extract.