Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
A great spiced up drink for the holidays, or anytime you want a treat! This would also make a great gift! Put all the dry ingredients into a glass jar with directions, along with some oranges. Enjoy!
- 1 medium orange
- 6 whole cloves
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee crystals
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract (or rum extract)
- 2 sticks cinnamon (2-inch long)
- Remove peel from orange using a sharp knife or vegetable peeler; set aside. Squeeze juice from the orange; add water, if necessary, to equal 1/3 cup. Set aside.
- To make the spice bag, place orange peel, cinnamon, and cloves in a double layer square of cheesecloth. Bring up corners; tie with string. If you don't have cheesecloth, just put it in the liquid(below) and strain after heating.
- In a large saucepan combine orange juice, spice bag, water, milk, brown sugar, cocoa powder, and coffee crystals. Bring to boiling; remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Remove spice bag. Stir in vanilla or rum extract.
I found the flavors in this to be perfectly balanced. The only change I made was to cut the sugar by half, and it was plenty sweet enough for me. The serving sizes are small (less than 8 oz.). I cut this down to 2 servings and drank it all myself, in one of my smaller cups. Will be making again, though, and the whole recipe for one of my LARGE mugs :)
Well, this smelled delicious on the stove and would be lend a lovely scent to a room. However, we were not that happy with the final product. It was as if there were too many conflicting flavors for us. The coffee and chocolate, orange, cloves and cinnamon, were just too different to meld well. I drank a cup and it was ok, but dh (who I had made it for) did not care for it. Probably not something I'd make again. Sorry Sharon, but thanks so much for posting it for us to try.