Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Adapted from a Canal House recipe, quick to make, no pectin needed. The juniper berries make this pair well with game. Substitute a star anise and a small piece of stick cinnamon for the juniper berries for a different taste.Use frozen cranberries if fresh ones are not available.
- 1 cup wine (port, madeira, or red wine)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 1⁄2 teaspoon telicherry peppercorn
- 4 cups cranberries (one 12-ounce bag)
- Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, ten minutes until berries have burst and are soft.
- Strain through a fine sieve or food mill, pushing the soft solids through. Stir the pulp to combine thin and thick portions together. Discard solids left in sieve.
- Pour into serving bowl, cover, and refrigerate several hours until firm. Can be made several days ahead.