Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A tasty holiday cake baked in an attractive bundt pan. Don't let the long list of ingredients put you off, it's worth it for a special gift or a delicious sweet treat with coffee and friends!
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2 tablespoons cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1⁄8 cups butter, softened
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts, ground
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- Grease and flour a 10 cup bundt pan.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Sift together te flour, baking powder, baking sodam saktm cardamom, ginger and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Beat the butter until creamy, then add the sugar and continue to beat until fluffy.
- Add eggs to the butter mixture, one at a time, beating well after each.
- Fold in the ground walnuts and and vanilla and mix on low until blended.
- Place 1/4 cup of the flour mixture in a medium bowl and add cranberries, tossing to coat berries with the flour.
- Add remaining flour and the sour cream to the butter mixture in three additions, blending just until incorporated after each addition.
- Fold in chopped walnuts and cranberries (along with any excess flour).
- Spoon batter into the prepared pan, spreading the batter so that the sides are higher than the center.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until cake begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn the cake out onto a wire rack and cool for 1 hour.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, bring the maple syrup to a boil and reduce to about 1/4 cup. Brush the syrup generously over the cooled cake.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and decorate with whole walnuts before serving.