Recipe by MarraMamba
The cinnamon caramelized onions perk up an already great couscous. Passive time includes 30-60 minute marinade time.
Top Review by katew
I was a little nervous about the cinnamon onions so halved the amount of cinnamon and this worked well for us. It was such an easy recipe to put together. I also added a chopped red pepper. I sampled this for lunch and know now that dinner will be greatly enjoyed.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups chopped onions
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 (10 ounce) package couscous, freshly cooked
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat 4 tbs oil in a heavy large skillet over medium high. Add chopped onions and stir to coat. Season with salt. Saute 20 minutes stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium and cook until onions are very soft, stirring frequently about 10 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon and brown sugar. saute until onions are brown about 5 minutes (may be made 1 day ahead).
- Coarsely puree quartered onion, lemon juice, cumin, ginger and paprika in blender. Pour into heavy resealable plastic bag. Add chicken, turn to coat. Refridgerate 30 minutes, up to an hour.
- Heat two tsp oil in another large skillet over medium. Add chicken with marinade, cook 3 minutes each side or til brown. Transfer to plate. Add tomatoes and broth to skillet, boil until sauce thickens, about 6 minutes. Return skillet to skillet, spoon sauce over. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Transfer to plate and tent with foil.
- Boil sauce until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro, season with salt and pepper.
- Rewarm cinnamon onions, mound couscous on 4 plates. Top with chicken, sauce and onions. Serve.