Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Inspired by an Alton brown recipe for blueberry jam, the spices in this jam elevate the flavor to new heights. A very mature taste, but kids like it too. I always make extra batches to use as presents and house gifts.
- 24 ounces frozen dark sweet cherries
- 3⁄4 ounce dry pectin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon star anise, ground fine
- 20 grinds fresh nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Place the cherries in a saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Sprinkle with pectin over the cherries followed by the star anise, nutmeg, lemon juice and vinegar.
- Once the cherries start to release their liquid in the bottom of pan, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and boil gently for five minutes occasionally mashing mixture.
- Mash in sugar, add the water, and return to a boil until the mixture reaches gel point. The frozen plate method works well for testing doneness.
- Process the jam using the hot water method for 10 minutes, or refrigerate and enjoy over the next week or so.