Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but it was hand written on a napkin and kept in my recipes. I do remember however, that it is one of the healthiest muffins as it was tucked in my low-calorie baking section. I recently found this again and had to make them over the weekend. OMG, looks like a lot of ingredients, but the texture and tastes was wonderful. A crumbly streusel topping made with a small amount of butter provides a delicious finish. No wonder I kept the recipe. I had to post of Zaar so I wouldn't lose that napkin again.
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apple butter, such as Smuckers
- 1⁄3 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup apple cider
- 1⁄3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400°F Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- To prepare streusel: Mix brown sugar, whole-wheat flour and cinnamon in a small bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in walnuts, if using.
- To prepare muffins: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and brown sugar in a medium bowl until smooth. Whisk in apple butter, syrup, cider, yogurt and oil. Make a well in the dry ingredients; add the wet ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until just combined. Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin cups (they'll be quite full). Sprinkle with the streusel.
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown and spring back when touched lightly, 15 to 25 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen edges and turn muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Yummy! Moist and delicious! And healthy!!!! Great combination of flavors! I made these for a breakfast basket along with recipe #60365. Thanks so much for posting! I loved these and will make them often!