Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great spice cake that uses yoghurt. The topping only makes it sublime!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (extra-thick) or 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup chopped toasted almond
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened coconut
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 330 degrees F (165C).
- Butter and flour a 10 inch bundt pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
- In large bowl, cream butter with sugar until light and fluffy (no less than 6 minutes).
- Add eggs; beat until smooth.
- Add flour mixture alternately with yoghurt (or sour cream); beat until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until tester comes out with a few moist crumbs attached.
- Preheat broiler.
- Combine brown sugar, butter, almonds, coconut, milk and vanilla.
- Spoon mixture over top of cake.
- Place under broiler, 3 inches from heat source until lightly browned.
- WATCH VERY CAREFULLY as this can go from caramelly to burned in no time!
A nice quick to put together cake. And the topping was easy to make, I like that! I did add a 1/4 teaspoon of cloves to the cake recipe to kick it up a notch.
Delicious cake! The only thing I changed was that after the cake was done cooking, I cooled it a bit and then turned it out onto a cookie sheet and then proceeded with the topping under the broiler. Wonderful results! Everyone raved!
Okay, so I've made this cake a few times. I love it ! It's very moist and tender. The first time I made it was for a friend who wanted a spice cake with caramel frosting; So I didn't use the topping that time. The next time I made it as written. The topping is very tasty, Though I don't prefer it on the cake. The cake is also wonderful by itself! Thanks so much. I'm in love with this cake.