Recipe by Joy1996
Mashed potato is a surprising addition to this cake! It's a good way to use up leftover potatoes from dinner the night before!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 teaspoons cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup mashed potatoes
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 9" round cake pans or 1 9x13" pan.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and cloves.
- In a large bowl, with electric mixer at med.
- speed, cream the butter and sugar together; beat in mashed potato and egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- At low speed, gradually beat in flour mixture until well combined.
- With mixer set at high speed, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into batter.
- Stir in nuts and raisins.
- Turn batter into pans.
- Bake for 40 minutes, or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Note: If using the 9x13" pan, you may have to go 5-10 minutes longer.
- Frost with your favorite frosting.