Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe back in the 70's from a friend whom I worked with. It is a simple and delicious bar to make.
- 236.59 ml granulated sugar
- 236.59 ml Karo syrup
- 340.19 g jar crunchy peanut butter
- 1419.54 ml Special K cereal
- 170.09 g package semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 340.19 g package butterscotch chips
- In a large mixing bowl, mix sugar and Karo syrup; microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, or until sugar is completely dissolved. Remove after sugar is dissolved. Do not boil. This is important. Bars will be hard as concrete if mixture continues to boil.
- Remove bowl from microwave; add crunchy peanut butter to the sugar mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in the Special K cereal and mix well.
- Pat the mixture firmly into a lightly buttered 13X9 inch pan. Using a lightly buttered or greased piece of waxed paper works great for patting down the mixture.(To make thicker bars -- use a 9x9 pan).
- In a medium bowl, combine the chocolate and butterscotch chips and microwave for about 3-4 minutes until melted; stirring once or twice during melting.
- Spread over top of cereal mixture. Refrigerate just long enough to set the chips.
- Remove, and cut into bars.
The key to making these bars chewy and not hard as a rock is the amount of time that you let the sugar and corn syrup boil. As soon as they hit the boiling stage, remove the bowl from the micorwave. The longer you allow this mixture to boil, the harder it gets. Trust me, I have done it both ways.
Made for Spring PAC 2008. I did not leave a star rating because I am not sure if I did something wrong. I followed the ingredients as written other then I used Splenda instead of sugar and lite karo syrup. I followed the directions as written other then i didn't put in the fridge. I wasn't using them until the next time so I let them harden on the table. The next day they were hard but so hard I could not cut them with a knife. Not sure what happened but we were unable to eat them.
Yummy!!!! This was so easy and quick to put together, but so tasty!! I liked that I didn't have to heat up the kitchen, only microwave was needed!! My family is so picky, hard to get a dessert that everyone likes, but this one is good for the whole family!!! Thanks for a great recipe Olive!!