Recipe by Diana #2
Bonnie Stern has done it again. Another splendid recipe, and so very easy to make. I highly recommend following her directions for flattening the chicken...so simple, you'll find yourself preparing chicken this way often. Also, don't forget to tuck the leg bone into the slitted skin. Makes for a very nice presentation and prevents the chicken from having that 'floppy leg' appearance. Bonnie has also included instructions for grilling, Prep time does not included time to marinade, as this will vary from person to person.
Top Review by Tea Jenny
Mmmm! this was very nice, thank you so much for the instructions to spatchcock a chicken. I have always wanted to do it but never had the courage but your instructions were very good, and as you can see from my picture it turned out great. I made it to the recipe and cooked it on the grill out doors in between showers but had to eat indoors as the rain came on. I will be making this again it's a much better way to cook it on the grill. thank you for posting. Made for the diabetic forum July 2011
- 1 roasting chicken, approx. 3 lbs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut out back bone from chicken. Open flat and remove breast bone. If you wish, cut slits in the skin between the white and dark meat and insert chicken drumsticks for a neat presentation.
- In a bowl combine olive oil, paprika, salt, pepper and garlic. Place chicken in the dish or plastic bag and coat well. Marinate 10 minutes at room temperature or up to overnight in the refrigerator.
- To roast, place chicken, skin side up, on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Roast in a preheated 375F (190C) oven for approximately 45 minutes to one hour or until golden brown and a meat thermometer reads 165F (75C) when inserted into a thigh.
- To grill chicken, place bone side down on a hot grill for 5 minutes. Turn and cook skin side down for a few minutes to brown. Place chicken bone side down on indirect heat now (cooler place on the grill) and cook 30 to 45 minutes longer until cooked through.