Recipe by Chocolatl
This is primarily a dessert. Adapted from Breads of the World. The original says 6 servings, but I think it will serve more.
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 grated lemon, zest of
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 18 -20 slices day-old white bread
- 1⁄4 cup cream sherry
- 1⁄2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 cup toasted almond
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine milk and eggs and beat with a fork until well blended.
- Mix in sugar, mace and lemon zest.
- Melt butter in a large skillet.
- Working in batches, dip the bread slices in the milk mixture, then fry until golden.
- Brush tops with sherry.
- Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and almonds, and serve immediately.