Recipe by lauralie41
This meatless casserole can be served with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, chopped avocado, or guacamole. If you would like to add meat, ground beef, diced pepperoni, crumbled bacon or cooked sausage could be added. A 3 quart casserole would be needed. As a side dish, this rice bake could be served with grilled chicken or steak fajita's or tacos. A very versatile recipe that your family will enjoy. My favorite cookbooklet containing casserole and slow cooker meals is where I found this recipe.
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Made as directed, other than adding a yellow bellpepper as well, because I had it. I ran into a problem when we had a power outage halfway through the cooking time, therefore I had to finish it off next day and my first tasting was when I took some to work for my lunch! happily it survived its interrupted bake and I can declare it, delicious, wish I had taken more with me :)<br/>Thank you for a lovely recipe, enjoyed for International Agents of QUEST, South America
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long grain rice, uncooked, not the quick cooking rice
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
- 10 1⁄4 ounces tomato soup
- 2 1⁄2 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped if (optional)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups colby-monterey jack cheese, shredded if desired (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Lightly coat a 2 1/2 quart casserole with cooking spray.
- In a 10 inch skillet over medium flame, heat the oil. Stirring frequently add the rice, onion, and bell pepper and cook until rice is light brown and onion is tender. Stir in corn.
- Except for the cheese, mix the remaining ingredients in the casserole. Stir in rice mixture and layer cheese on top.
- Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Stir. Cover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until rice is tender. Sprinkle remaining 1 cup of cheese on top and bake uncovered for 2 to 3 minutes or until cheese is melted.