Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Family Spanish rice recipe with Rotel and bacon. Don't leave out the bacon fat and butter, it adds a lot of the flavor to the dish. Use Hot Rotel if you like it really spicy.
- 4 strips bacon
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 (10 ounce) can Rotel Tomatoes, mild or hot
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 1 small green pepper, chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 cans green chilies
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Fry bacon in skillet until browned.
- Remove from skillet, crumble, and set aside.
- Do not remove bacon grease from skillet!
- Melt butter in skillet and add onion, pepper and garlic.
- Saute until onions are translucent.
- Add the Rotel, green chiles and chicken broth and simmer approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Add the rice, cover and simmer approximately 20 minutes.
- Crumble bacon on top and serve.
This is delicious. I used a red pepper instead of the green. It gave the rice a nice color. And for presentation, I put this in a glass 13x9 baking pan and topped with cheddar cheese and sliced black olive. Everyone ate it up. We will certainly make this again. Thank you!
A great hit, Denise. I prepared it last night to go with beef enchiladas. 'Twas a nice combination along with a big tossed green salad. Everyone cleaned their plate. Thanks for sharing; I'll definitely make it again.