Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Great tasting hamburger casserole. I usually top it with more than the 2 tablespooons of cheese that remains from the original ingredients.
- 8 ounces macaroni
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 6 tablespoons cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup canned tomato, undrained
- Boil macaroni and drain.
- Brown meat and peppers and onion, drain and add salt and pepper.
- Make white sauce then stir in 4 T. of cheese and tomatoes.
- Layer in dish, macaroni, meat, sauce, then repeat.
- Top with remaining
- cheese and bake at 400 for 40 minutes.
5 star A really tasty hamburger casserole, the only substitute I used was ,ground moose meat instead of beef .Thanks
This recipe had my husband in the kitchen asking what smelled so good. It was easy to make. The only changesI made was using leftover cooked egg noodles in place of the macaroni noodles and once I measured the 1/2 cup of tomatoes, I drained the rest and added those to the white sauce too. Of course I used more cheese in the sauce, we love cheese. I didn't measure it just grated and added. My hubby ate over half the casserole; even my picky grandson loved it. I will be making this again.