"The egg-dipped ham sandwiches are even better with Spanish ingredients: salty Serrano ham, Manchego cheese, and sweet membrillo (quince paste), which is available at some supermarkets, at specialty foods stores." You may also cook this 2 at a time, holding the others in a warm oven, until all are prepared. Taken from Bon Appetit June '09 and credited to Jill Silverman Hough.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 slices sourdough bread (each approx. 5 x 3 inches & 1/2-inch-thick) or 8 slices country-style French bread (each approx. 5 x 3 inches & 1/2-inch-thick)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 6 ounces manchego cheese, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces thinly sliced serrano ham
- 4 tablespoons quince paste (membrillo)
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1Arrange 4 bread slices on work surface.
- 2Spread each with 1/2 tablespoon mustard.
- 3Top each with 1/4 of cheese, then 1/4 of ham, folding to fit.
- 4Spread 1 tablespoon quince paste on each of remaining 4 bread slices; place bread, paste side down, atop ham.
- 5Beat eggs in pie dish until well blended.
- 6Melt 2 tablespoons butter in each of 2 large skillets over medium-low heat.
- 7Working with 1 sandwich at a time, hold sandwiches tightly closed and dip into beaten eggs to coat on all sides.
- 8Place 2 sandwiches in each skillet.
- 9Cover and cook until bottoms are golden, about 4 minutes. Turn sandwiches over.
- 10Cover and cook until bottoms are golden, cheese is melted, and egg coating is cooked through, about 4 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Spanish Ham and Cheese Monte Cristo Sandwiches
Serving Size: 1 (199 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.2
- Calories from Fat 170
- Total Fat 18.9 g
- Saturated Fat 9.5 g
- Cholesterol 216.5 mg
- Sodium 914.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 21.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: