Recipe by Heather U.
My 10-year-old son prepared this one night-- it was delicious! We got the recipe from The Everything Kids' Cookbook by Sandra K. Nissenberg, p 75, which says "Everyone will be so impressed that you made this one from scratch."
- 1 lb spaghetti noodles
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 (20 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add the tomato sauce and paste, water, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- While you wait for the sauce to boil, start your spaghetti (or other pasta) according to the package directions.
- Once the mixture begins to boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Turn the sauce to low while you finish cooking the spaghetti.
- Drain the spaghetti and serve on plates or in pasta bowls. Pour the sauce over each serving.
- Top with parmesan cheese, if desired, and serve with Classic Caesar Salad (p. 88), or Cheesy Garlic Bread (p. 87).