Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is from her TV show. I am listing the hot peppers as optional. I left them out, as I can't handle much heat. Time does not include roasting of the peppers.
- 3 red bell peppers, roasted
- 3 fresno chili peppers, seeded (optional)
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts or 3 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- 2 cups basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, or
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated pecorino cheese, plus some to pass at table
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 lb spaghetti
- additional torn basil, chopped mint and parsley for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Place roasted red peppers, chili peppers in a food processor and add the nuts, basil, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add cheese, turn processor on and stream in the oil to form a thick sauce.
- Salt pasta water and cook spaghetti to al dente.
- Reserve about 1 cup of starchy cooking water, drain pasta and return to pot.
- Toss pasta with pesto and half the starchy water.
- Toss the pasta with the sauce for a minute or two to combine thoroughly, adding a little more starchy water if necessary.
- Serve with more cheese and some torn basil leaves or finely chopped mint and parsley, if desired.