Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fast, easy, and very delicious!! I usually have everything that I need for this recipe on hand. Use as much or as little garlic that you like, or, that your family and friends can tolerate. You can throw in a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes, if you want...but, I prefer it without. Served with a salad, some fresh Italian bread, a glass of wine...and, presto, dinner is ready!
- 2 (6 1/2 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth (red or white wine, your choice) or 1⁄4 cup dry wine (red or white wine, your choice)
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced (more or less, if desired)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes (regular canned Italian or crushed tomatoes will do, but San Marzano are the best.)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 (1 lb) package spaghetti or 1 (1 lb) package linguine, cooked al dente according to package directions
- 4 -6 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Drain the clams and reserve the juices. To the reserved juices, add enough vermouth or wine to measure about 3/4 cup (approximately 1/4 cup of vermouth or wine).
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter. Add the minced garlic and simmer for about 3 minutes, or until garlic begins to color; do NOT let the garlic brown or the sauce will taste bitter. Add the parsley, oregano, basil, salt, pepper, tomatoes, tomato sauce, and clam juice/vermouth mixture, and a pinch of crushed red pepper, if desired. Break the tomatoes up with the back of a wooden spoon. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the clams and cook just long enough to heat through, a minute or so.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta in boiling salted water until al dente, according to package instructions. Place the spaghetti into serving bowls and pour the sauce over each. Pass the grated Parmesan cheese and sprinkle, if desired.