- 3 vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped (about 1 lb, 2 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 12 ounces spaghetti
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the tomatoes in a large salad bowl, add the oil, basil, and garlic, and season with salt and pepper. Toss gently, cover, and set aside in a cool place.
- Forget about the tomatoes for about 30 minutes or so to let the flavors mingle.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the spaghetti for 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions, until it is tender but al dente, or firm to the bite. Drain the spaghetti.
- Remove and discard the garlic from the raw tomato sauce. Add the pasta to the sauce, toss, and serve immediately.