Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
In 'Lidia's Italy' by Lidia Bastianich
- salt, for pasta water
- 2 tablespoons whole black peppercorns
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1 1⁄2 cups freshly grated pecornio romano cheese
- Bring a big pot of salted water to a boil.
- Grind the peppercorns very coarsely; preferably crushing them in a mortar with a pestle or in a spice grinder.
- Warm up a big bowl for mixing and serving the pasta--use some of the pasta water to heat the bowl, if you like.
- Cook the spaghetti until al dente.
- Quickly lift it from the pot with tongs, let it drain for an instant, then drop it into the warm bowl.
- Immediately scatter a cup of the grated cheese and most of the ground pepper on the pasta, and toss in quickly.
- As you mix, sprinkle over spoonfuls of hot water from the cooking pot to moisten and amalgamate the pasta and condiments; add more pepper or cheese to taste.
- Serve right away, while the spaghetti is very hot.