Recipe by Valerie in Florida
My favorite Red Clam Sauce
Top Review by Ilysse
I am enjoying my coffee after a wonderful meal of this yummy clam sauce over linguine, salad and garlic bread. I didn't use crushed tomatoes, I used whole plum and broke them up with my hands as I dumped them in the pan. I only used a small pinch of the red pepper flakes as we arn't into spicy but it gave just enough kick for us. I used dried basil in the sauce and no parsley since I didn't have it. I added the basil as it was simmering. I also skipped the butter. I usually add butter at the end of all my tomato sauces but I didn't feel it needed it here. This was a wonderful sauce. The whole family enjoied it. Thank you for posting.
- 1 tablespoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 lb dried spaghetti or 1 lb linguine
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 2 (6 ounce) canschopped clams, with their juices
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup crushed canned Italian plum tomato
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- fresh ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon cold unsalted butter
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large covered pot, heat a gallon of water with a tablespoon of salt to a boil. When it boils, add the pasta, stir well, and cover until it returns to the boil. Uncover and boil until just tender to the bite all the way through.
- Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a skillet (with a lid) large enough to hold the pasta later on, heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and slowly cook, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the claims with their juice, wine, tomatoes, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper, to taste, keeping in mind that the claims are quite salty. Stir, reduce the heat to simmer and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Reserving 1/2 cup cooking water, drain the pasta in a colander. Add the drained pasta, parsley, butter and salt and pepper to taste to the sauce and mix well, adding a few tablespoons of pasta cooking water if needed to coat the pasta evenly. Cover and cook 1 minute. Serve immediately.