Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Spaghetti squash marinara without any pasta. This is so delicious, easy to make and low in fat. It tastes just like spaghetti. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to share the recipe with all of you!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Spanish onion (cut into long stripes)
- 1 garlic clove (finely chopped)
- 1 small zucchini (cut lengthwise into stripes)
- 1 small yellow squash (cut lengthwise into stripes)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (seeded and cut length-wise into stripes)
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil (chopped)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prick spaghetti squash all over with a fork. Place it in the microwavable dish or on a paper towel. Microwave on high for 15-20 minutes or until it softens. Remove form microwave and let cool.
- When the squash is cooled, cut in half length-wise, then scrape out seeds and throw them away. Set squash aside.
- Warm 1 tbsp olive oil in large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Stirring often for about 10 minutes, or until onion browns. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time, as necessary to prevent burning. Add remaining 1 tbsp oil, zucchini, yellow squash and bell pepper to pot, and cook for about 10 minutes, or until vegetables soften slightly.
- Add tomato puree/ or canned tomatoes and basil and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, gently remove spaghetti squash strands using 2 forks and add to sauce. Stir in salt and pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer or until squash is heated through.
- Per serving: 97 calories/ 3g protein/ 16g carbs/ 4g fat/ 1g sat. fat / 0 mg chol / 4g fiber / 386mg sodium.
This was great. I didn't have crushed tomotoes so I used a can of diced tomatoes and added some tomato sauce. I added some Italian seasoning too. I made spaghetti sauce before and cooked it a tad too long and it wasn't firm like spaghetti, this time it came out perfect. Very filling and all veggies, so good!
I love this recipe because it's easy, healthy and delicious. I triple the garlic though, and use a garlic press. Overall fantastic though!