Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A favorite recipe of mine. My mom always made this tasty casserole. After making it myself I added a couple extra ingredients.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 medium onion
- 2 -3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 3 cans tomato paste
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 can diced tomato
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 cups water (or more, depending on how thick you want your sauce)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs spaghetti noodles
- 2 (8 ounce) packagesshredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) packageshredded monterey jack cheese (mix all shredded cheese together before layering)
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (or more)
- In a large saucepan, brown hamburger, onion, and garlic.
- Drain grease when done.
- Add tomato paste,tomato sauce,diced tomatos, basil,oregano,italian seasoning,bay leaves, salt,pepper,sugar and water in same saucepan as hamburger.
- Stir the sauce until well mixed.
- Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 2 hours stirring often.
- When sauce is almost done preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Also, boil the noodles.
- When done drain,rinse, and set aside.
- When sauce is done, remove bay leaves.
- Spoon a thin layer of sauce on a 9x13" pan.
- Start the layering with noodles then lay some shredded cheese on top.
- Then layer some sauce and then some parmesian cheese.
- Repeat layers ending with sauce and sprinkled with parmesian cheese.
- Bake covered with foil for 30 minutes.
- Uncover and bake for 15 more minutes.
- Take out and let set for atleast 15-20 minutes before cutting.
- Serve with salad and garlic bread.
We had this for supper last night and it was great. I did use my own spaghetti sauce so it was a cinch to prepare and so so good.Sorry I didn't take a picture. Thanks for posting. Rita/Sage
I followed Shimmerchk lead with the ingredients for this, as I try to cut corners and eat healthy when I can. This is comforting and delicious! I thought the spices were a nice addition and gave a great flavor to the sauce. This took a little time to make but it was worth every minute, because it's a great casserole to have anytime!
I've been making this for almost a year now and I keep forgetting to rate it-this is sooooo good. I've made it for several get togethers and a couple of holidays and it's always the best dish!! It also makes a lot of spaghetti so it's perfect for a crowd. I always buy the block cheese and grate it myself-I think things taste better that way. It's truly the best spaghetti I've ever had!!! Thanks for sharing!!