Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
A little spicy for us that like a lot of flavor in our food. This is a great meatless meal. Our family likes it very much.
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 (11 1/2 ounce) packagerefrigerated cornbread, twists
- In a large skillet, sauté the carrots, celery, onion and seasonings in butter until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly.
- Remove from the heat; add beans, corn, tomatoes and chilies.
- Spoon into an ungreased 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- Separate cornbread twists; make a lattice crust over filling.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350°F for 20-25 minutes or until cornbread is done.