Recipe by Roo1979
This is a good side dish for just about any TexMex or Mexican entree. It is also a nice alternative to the typical beans and rice. You can also put this in the oven with something else and bake at the same time.
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup canned corn, drained
- 1 small red pepper, finely diced
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup red enchilada sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 deg.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in milk, oil, and 1 beaten egg. Mix well.
- Pour into 8 or 9 inch greased pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown.
- Turn out of baking pan and let cool enough to touch.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 deg.
- Crumble cornbread into the same 8 or 9 inch baking dish.
- Add red pepper, green onions, green chilis, and corn and mix them together well.
- In a small mixing bowl beat the 2 eggs. Add enchilada sauce and buttermilk. Mix well.
- Pour this mixture over the cornbread mixture. Mix and make sure all cornbread gets coated evenly.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Serve with your favorite TexMex or Mexican entree.