Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Special Edition Contest Entry: These Southwest Style Hash Browns were the perfect ingredient to blend all the flavors of the Southwest into the perfect potato pancake! The result was a dish that had great flavor and flexibility. Great as a side dish, great as a breakfast with an egg on top, great as a snack. All wonderful plain or topped with salsa for an extra kick!
- 1 (20 ounce) package Simply Potatoes® Shredded Hash Browns, squeezed dry
- 3 extra large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
- 1 small red pepper, stemmed, seeded, ribs removed and finely chopped
- 3 scallions, finely chopped, use white and green, top and bottom trimmed
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, rinsed, dried, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- salsa (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 cookie sheets with foil (for easy clean up) and set aside.
- In a large bowl, put 20 ounce bag of Simply Potatoes Southwest Style Hash Browns that have been squeezed in paper towels to remove extra moisture. Stir in beaten eggs, flour, grated carrot, chopped red pepper, scallions, chopped cilantro, taco seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Heat a non-stick griddle pan on medium high heat while you are blending the ingredients. Melt 1 teaspoon vegetable oil with 1 tablespoon butter together in the pan, and using a half cup measure, scoop out four servings of potato mixture and put onto hot griddle. With a spatula, press down to flatten to approximately 1/4 inch thick and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or till crisp and brown on the bottom. Flip each patty over, cook till brown on bottom, and place on the prepared cookie sheets. Repeat with remaining potato, vegetable oil and butter.
- Put the cookie sheets with the eight patties into a 400 degree oven for 5 minutes. Serve hot or warm with Salsa if desired.
I'll definitely use this recipe again. It was easy and everyone in the family enjoyed it. Good recipe for Mother's Day.
What tasty potato pancakes this recipe makes. Loved them!!! I gave it a five star rating. I will be making these Pancakes a lot.