Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I got this recipe from a message board and thought I would share. Sounds like a neat concept! Preparation time only includes making the matchsticks as other times vary.
- 4 medium flour tortillas, made into matchsticks to equal 4 cups (see recipe below)
- 8 cups white rice or 8 cups Spanish rice, cooked
- 3 cups enchilada sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can pinto beans or 1 (16 ounce) can black beans
- 4 cups chopped cooked chicken or 4 cups ground beef
- 2 -3 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 6 cups finely chopped lettuce
- 6 cups finely chopped mixed vegetables (such as green onion, avocado, tomato, black olives and pepper)
- Place all the ingredients in separate bowls and serve buffet style.
- Each person assembles their own "haystack" by starting with a layer of matchsticks, and then rice and sauce.
- Top with remaining ingredients of choice.
- Tortilla Matchsticks:.
- With a pizza cutter slice 2 medium flour tortillas into very thin matchstick pieces. Spread on a baking sheet and bake 5 to 6 minutes at 400°F Stir. Return to oven 3 to 5 minutes more. Matchsticks should be crisp and golden brown. Cool. Makes 2 cups.