Prep 10 mins
Cook 33 mins
Tasty and quick this is great with a side of sliced tomatoes and chopped green onions. From Readers Digest Quick and Delicious.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 -3 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
- 1 (17 ounce) can corn, drained
- 2 small 8-inch flour tortillas
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, grated or shreds (1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Lightly grease 1 1/2 qt round casserole dish.
- In large skillet, brown beef and onion 6-7 minutes.
- drain fat.
- Stir in chili powder and cook 1 more minute.
- Add tomatoes, chilies and corn, bringing to a boil.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Line bottom of casserole with 1 tortilla.
- Spoon 1/4 of the meat over it, then 1/4 of the cheese over the meat.
- Repeat, ending with the meat, reserve the last cheese.
- Cover casserole and bake until bubbly and hot 20-25 minutes.
- Remove cover and top with remaining cheese.
- Continue baking about 2 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired and cut into wedges to serve.
I was disappointed. The casserole was quite bland. I also found the directions to be unclear and confusing. For example, step 6 tells you to add the drained vegetables and then bring the mixture to a boil, but there was virtually no liquid. Also if I used only 2 tortillas, how could I layer this mixture four times? Sorry, I wish this were a rave review.
Quick and simple casserole, so good tasting! Even better the next day for lunch. I doubled this recipe and used a bit of ground turkey with ground round. The green chilies I only used about half the amount and did double the cheese. Also made JanetChristo's Easy Basic Enchilada Sauce Recipe #138711 to serve along with the casserole.
I used 99% lean ground turkey, red onion, no salt added corn and diced tomatoes, 3 low fat tortillas and fat free shredded mozzarella cheese. I added cumin, garlic powder, tomato bouillon and cayenne pepper for spice. Thank you for the recipe.