Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This recipe was given to me by my late grandmother. To this day, I refuse to eat sweet potato pie unless it tastes just like her's. This sweet potato pie recipe results in a pie that is browned and not mushy like most. Enjoy!
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1⁄2 cup margarine (softened)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 deep dish pie shells
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix sweet potatoes, sugar, margarine, and evaporated milk using a hand mixer.
- Add vanilla, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg (I use a dash of cinnamon and sugar so adjust according to your tastes).
- Pour into frozen pie crusts.
- Bake for 1 hour until golden brown.
- Let rest for 30 minutes-1 hour before slicing.
- Can be served warm or cold.
Use orange extract, light brown sugar
I lost my great grandmother's recipe while I was in the Army with so many moves. This was it except we add lemon juice. It was simple and with great texter. Like the recipe states season to your taste, but this is an excellent road map.