Recipe by TheBostonBean
These are SERIOUSLY addictive! I learned these from a woman from Calabria Italy. She is an amazing cook! So worth all the work.
Top Review by luv2fix
I love artichokes but this was my first taste of baby artichokes. OMG! I loved them. I made them exactly as instructed and they were great. The bread crumbs at the end give them a nice little crunch. They also have no choke so when you have eaten them down a little you are home free! I had them with a little miracle whip.
- 12 baby artichokes
- 2 lemons
- 4 mashed garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- black pepper
- extra virgin olive oil (lots)
Directions See How It's Made
- Juice 1 lemon into large bowl filled with cold water. Add remnant lemon also.
- Set bowl of water next to prep area.
- Juice 1 more lemon set juice aside.
- Take each artichoke and remove top few layers of dark green leaves exsposing slightly lighter more tender leaves underneath.
- Snap off artichoke long stems.
- With kitchen shears cut up 1/2 inch of the top of artichoke. Add to lemon water, otherwise they will darken.
- Boil enough water to cover artichokes with second lemon juice.
- Once boiling add artichokes for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Strain and pat dry.
- In metal pot, large enough to hold artichokes SNUGGLY heat 1 tblsp oil and 4 cloves of mashed garlic over low to medium heat, allow to become tender.
- Set artichokes stem side down into pot, make sure they are snug.
- Add enough olive oil to reach halfway up artichokes.
- Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes. ( Leaves should pull away fairly easily when done).
- Once cooked discard most of oil, leave enough to toss to coat and season generously with pepper and salt add 1 handful 1/2 cup of italian bread crumbs.